Tuesday, July 29, 2008

We went today to have Blake fitted for orthotics. The dr feels that the UCBL' s (which are the braces that would be concealed in his shoes) won't give his bones enough support, so we are going to go with SMO's which are ankle height.

When they first told me he would have to lay on his tummy for 20 minutes while they put casts on his feet I didn't think it would go well. He is very active and I was doubtful he would stay still, but he did surprisingly well! I came prepared with cars, books, graham crackers and bubbles, and in addition to that I blew up a latex glove and made him a balloon.

By the time he really started to get annoyed they were all done and ready to cut the casts off. He was a very big boy!

It will take 2-3 weeks to get them back. I hope he doesn't notice them too much. They are supposedly pretty comfortable so he should get used to them quickly. I'll keep you all updated on how he's doing.

Also, I got a call from another PTLS mom yesterday. She also lives in Michigan, about two hours away. We talked for about an hour and hope to be able to meet someday soon. Her son is 9, and has had serious heart problems, probably one of the most serious of all the kids so far. If I'm remembering correctly he has had 3 heart surgeries and was very close to not surviving on numerous occasions. He is dependent on a pacemaker and at some point will most likely need a transplant. He also has some major issues with impulse control and has to be watched very closely or he will unlock all 3 locks on the door and leave the house or start the car (yes he has done that). I think I may have my hands full with Blakie. Hopefully his behavioral issues will be on the milder side but only time will tell.

Please keep Marc and his mom and all the other families in your thoughts. The more I learn the more I realize that although these kids are very similar, they also have very different and unique challenges. Also keep praying that Blake's heart scan comes back normal. As that comes closer I am getting more and more nervous, but at the same time am anxious to know.

No comments: